cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Rolf Kulemann <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Repository support for property queries (DASL?)
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:11:33 GMT
On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 09:04, Guido Casper wrote:
> One point of the Repository interface is to find a common way to do
> simple things and to be portable across repositories with that. And
> there is no way for searching to be portable across repositories (as
> long as they don't implement all a common QL syntax and dialekt like
> JCRQL wants to achieve IIUC).

As Stefano said, the jcr spec. sais that a rep. MUST implement one of
two QLs...(or so)

Ok. That sounds for me one could use the repository to do simple work
against a repository. If I have a more heavy weight application i.e. a
complete cms, one should use sth. like jcr/slide API directly, because
of (transactions and) searching ?

And if using jcr, we are still not portable since there is no "standard"
QL which all reps. MUST implement.

So, without offending anybody or anything: The cocoon reps. will stay
lightweight for quite some more time. Thus if the lenya people want to
go for a repository, we should use slide or wait for jcr-ref-impl since
we have more than "leightweight" requirements.

Stefano said the slidejcr stuff will be out in 2-4 weeks. I hope I will
be lucky.

> So what you might want to do is to create a DASL searcher (like the
> DASLTransformer?).

I do that, and it works quite fine, but webdav or better APIs like
org.apache.webdavlib are lacking transactions. I can workaround it a bit
with locking everything I need before I start to act on resources....but
that is not a long term solution.

--
Regards,

    Rolf Kulemann