cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Versioning Guide
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:06:56 GMT
On 24 Apr 2004, at 18:48, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>> Apache HTTPD is (I believe) doing this: 2.0 is "stable", 2.1
>> is "unstable", and it will be released further down along the
>> platform either as 2.2 (if backwards compatibility can be
>> preserved) or 3.0 (if the new design emerged in 2.1 requires
>> major changes).
> Ah ok, yes, I think this makes sense. I thought we don't
> use versions for this, so we have something like a sandbox
> in our repository for such things. But I'm fine with that
> as well.

A "sandbox" is fine for developing a small bit... For example, my
version of the kernel is in the sandbox now... When (let's say) we want
to start rewriting stuff (Cocoon core) around it, we'll have to take it
out of the sandbox, and break a lot of contracts...

Having a separate tree of "unstable" versions allows people to go on
for longer with broken / not compiling code without being worried of
having broken the main "stable" build.

	Pier