cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hugo Burm" <hu...@xs4all.nl>
Subject RE: Cocoon and Hibernate
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:31:48 GMT

The authors of Hibernate make a statement on their website that we are
allowed to use the Hibernate API without affecting our own license:

"Using Hibernate (by importing Hibernate's public interfaces in your Java
code), and extending Hibernate (by subclassing) is considered by the authors
of Hibernate to be dynamic linking. Hence our interpretation of the LGPL is
that the use of the unmodified Hibernate source or binary does not affect
the license of your application code."

But during the Gettogether in Gent, last autumn 2003, while discussing this
Hibernate issue, Stefano Mazzocchi told us that the ASF will not take the
risk. The risk is that a GPL contribution may GPL-ify a whole subtree of the
ASF code. At least that is what I understand of this issue.

So I think we must wait for the new block mechanism that will make it easier
to maintain a block outside of the CVS.

To Leszek: I am trying to maintain a few Wiki pages about Hibernate on the
wiki.cocoondev.org. These pages tend to be outdated (especially nowadays,
after the recent Cocoon "renaming game"). I have been thinking about a
Hibernate block on cocoondev.org. So feel free to contact me.

Hugo Burm