cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Stuyts <jo...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Experience with workflow at Hippo Webworks
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 11:05:55 GMT
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:49:31 -0600, Hunsberger, Peter
<Peter.Hunsberger@stjude.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> I think it would be a good idea to talk about these two
>> -a user-oriented workflow tool with a modeling UI and a well defined
>> limited context
>> -and a more flexible development tool
>>
>> as separate implementations sharing the same interface.
>>

> I don't see any reason to limit the user oriented tool?  Start from a
> flexible underlying model, be aware that it should be possible to
> generate the model form some GUI....

Workflow modeling is very complex by the user is very complex. The user is
programming (creating objects, defining conditions, etc.) but must not be
aware of it. Its usefulness lies with designing/implementing
regularly-changing business processes.

When starting this thread my focus was on workflow for a single object,
which is much simpler. Also we at Hippo have no requirements for users
modifying the workflow. We expect a limited number of workflow definitions
and few changes.

As a developer I still want to express state machines as tersely as
possible. A graphical tool would be great (anyone for writing XSLT to
transform XMI documents?), but a well-structured XML document will do fine.

--
Johan Stuyts