cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Stuyts <jo...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Response to workflow
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:28:07 GMT
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:09:55 +0100, Guido Casper <gcasper@s-und-n.de>
wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:

>>> 100% agreement.
>>>
>>> Doing design without a codebase takes forever on a open community
>>> because it's much easier to disagree with email than with code ;-)
>>>
>>> it's a do-ocracy after all, then we polish from there.
>>

>> what do others think (beside Guido and Stefano)?
>>
>> I don't know if there are any other existing code-bases beside the ones
>> listed at
>>
>> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Workflow
>>
>> whereas the type of license reduces the choice even more
>
> Community-wise the Lenya workflow package is certainly the best bet. We
> should just try to keep the interfaces neutral so that others might be
> integrated.

I view choosing for Lenya workflow as choosing to build/use a
Cocoon-independent solution (with an adapter to make it accessible in
Cocoon) instead of building a solution using Cocoon-specific technology.
There are a number of existing implementations which can be used as a
starting point for a Cocoon-independent solution. I feel other
implementations are more mature than Lenya workflow and will be a better
choice to use as a starting point. I think OSWorkflow is a good option,
but jBpm looks very promising (I suggest to give the demo a try). Both
these technologies are license-compatible with Cocoon.

--
Johan Stuyts