cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans>
Subject Stream vs Mapped IO (was Re: [VOTE] - Entry level JSDK 1.4 in Cocoon 2.2)
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:33:06 GMT
Has anyone else read Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java" ?

<quote> (chapter 12)
Although the performance of “old” stream I/O has been improved by
implementing it with nio, mapped file access tends to be dramatically

So by switching to 1.4 and *not* using NIO you're likely to get a speed
bump already.

However switching to mapped file access (as was suggested before using
memory mapped files) from traditional stream IO would gain the most
significant increase.

Stream Write: 1719
Mapped Write: 359
Stream Read: 750
Mapped Read: 125
Stream Read/Write: 5188
Mapped Read/Write: 16

I am getting similar results over various runs. The test program is
attached (needs the test harness classes to run, but you can see what
he's doing)

The third edition including code samples is freely available from

I hope this helps making the decision 1.4 vs 1.3. I also started a poll
on the userlist to get a feeling of what the installed userbase is using
at the moment. I'll gather some stats and report back.

Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Hi:
> Many was talked about this topic. I think it not need a large explanation:
> The idea is to set JSDK 1.4 as the minimum supported JDK supported for the
> next major release 2.2 of Cocoon. Currently we are supporting also 1.3 but
> seems like few people is using it.
> Do you agree with JSDK 1.4 as the lower Java version supported in Cocoon 2.2?
> Here is my +1
> Best Regards,
> Antonio Gallardo

View raw message