cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: Accepting new blocks
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:43:01 GMT

> You're right, I'm also guilty of creating a few blocks without formally
> asking.
>
> Seeing how hard it is to retrofit tests and docs to existing blocks,
> maybe we should require the following for any new non-scratchpad block:
> -samples
> -automated tests
> -documentation (in the block itself, I don't think our docs structure
> makes it easy to integrate docs from blocks)
> -a "community" (for example, at least three committers who need it)
>
> And require a vote before creating a new block, where the creator must
> provide evidence of the above.
>
> WDYT?
> -Bertrand

I agree with this for core blocks.

Will there be a different central repository then for the more exotic
blocks that don't offer core functionality? Your community rule might
hold people back from creating blocks for the fun of it.
Example: i've been thinking about creating a text-to-speech block just
for the learning experience. Unlikely that more than 3 committers need
this, so where will it end up if i want to donate it?

There was a discussion a few months ago about the need for a
blocks.cocoondev.org alike site, maybe this is relevant again now? By
default you would allow all blocks into an incubation phase and do a
vote on the ones to absorb in the cocoon dist.

Jorg