cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Locks within AbstractReadWriteStore
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:40:20 GMT
The A-R-W store is just a dump default implementation. The old stores in
Cocoon/Avalon weren't synchronized properly, so they sometimes suffered
from threading issues.
A first easy-to-do solution was the A-R-W store with using the locks. Now,
I haven't looked into JCS, but I guess they are doing the synchronization
inside JCS (I hope). If this is true, we don't do any syncing/locking in
our Store and simply defer the work to JCS.

HTH
Carsten

________________________________

	From: Corin Moss [mailto:Corin.Moss@tvnz.co.nz]
	Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 11:56 PM
	To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
	Subject: Locks within AbstractReadWriteStore

	Hi Guys,

	When I first started looking at the persistent store I mentioned the
read/write locks contained within AbstractReadWriteStore as a potential
issue.  Under load test with the new JCS based store I'm still seeing really
high iowait usage after about 10-12 hours (similar to what I noticed with
the JISP based store.)  I suspect that there may indeed be a problem
somewhere within this part of the store.

	The cache is no longer corrupt after the test (it was with the old
JISP store), but it does still take a long time to get anything written to
it. What I'll try and do is perform a similar test, outside of the Cocoon
environment using the JCS library and see if I can recreate this.

	I also notice that there's a new release of
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent - so I'll have a look at this as well.

	Carsten - I noticed your tag on the A-R-W store - do you have any
more info on this? I realise that it's an Avalon component, but I guess it
started its life here with all the other store classes?

	Let me know if anyone has more experience with this particular class
:)

	Corin

	Corin Moss
	Lead Developer