cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [QVote] Where to put licenses?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:42:21 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> But what I absolutely don't like is the adding of the package
> version to the license file. What's it for? A comparison
> between package-xyz-1.23.45.jar and package-xyz.license.txt
> can also be done without any problem. It's useless remove and
> readd of files to CVS IMO.
That's simple. As we learned recently, the license might change
between versions! So having the version number in the license name
will more clearly show that updating a jar has to go in combination
with (perhaps) updating the license.
If e.g. someone of us had updated Jisp to 3.0 I bet that noone
would ever have noticed that we actually couldn't use that version
as the jisp.license we had in our CVS was still compatible.

> Adding this logic to the test script/check-jars.xsl/gump or
> what ever is much more clever.

As soon as there is a script we *could* remove the version number.
But I think not any sooner.

Carsten