cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Event caching and CachedSource
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:19:52 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> > BTW, how does CachedSource accomplish something different from the
> > caching point pipeline (which seems to accomplish more, though I've
> > never used it).
> >
> I never used it either. So I really don't know. Perhaps
> someone else could comment on this?

The CachedSource caches a source :) whereas the caching point pipeline
caches part of a pipeline. They could be used in combination but have
different purposes.
The caching point pipeline can cache the beginning of a pipeline upto
the point, but this only works if all components in the pipeline
support the caching; if not, nothing is cached.

Now, imagine that you have a database source that fetches content
from a slow database (or cms). The usual caching alg. tries to
look if the source read by the generator has changed since the last call.
In the case of the database source this is not possible and the
pipeline is never cached.
With the cached source the content fetched from the db is cached,
reducing the requests to the back-end system and the generator
can use this to test if the source has changed, allowing the
pipeline (or a part of it) to be cached as well.

HTH
Carsten