cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [QVote] Where to put licenses?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:51:06 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 03.03.2004 14:42, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> >>But what I absolutely don't like is the adding of the
> package version
> >>to the license file. What's it for? A comparison between
> >>package-xyz-1.23.45.jar and package-xyz.license.txt can
> also be done
> >>without any problem. It's useless remove and readd of files to CVS
> >>IMO.
> >
> > That's simple. As we learned recently, the license might change
> > between versions! So having the version number in the license name
> > will more clearly show that updating a jar has to go in combination
> > with (perhaps) updating the license.
> > If e.g. someone of us had updated Jisp to 3.0 I bet that
> noone would
> > ever have noticed that we actually couldn't use that version as the
> > jisp.license we had in our CVS was still compatible.
>
> A valid point as it attracts attention
>
> >>Adding this logic to the test script/check-jars.xsl/gump or
> what ever
> >>is much more clever.
> >>

> > As soon as there is a script we *could* remove the version number.
> > But I think not any sooner.
>
> The script would not help with the above point. Or do you
> want to check the content of the license file?? This would
> mean an "either or", not an "it depends".

Exactly my point (although I might not have made it that clear), a
script can't test the contents of the license, that's why I wrote
we "*could*" remove the version number. I still think, having the
version numbers helps more than any script can do.
If you're using scripts you tend to rely on the scripts without
assuring that the scripts really do what you want.

Anyways, it seems noone is really against moving all licenses
back to the legal directory and if someone comes up with a script
we will see if it helps or not.

Carsten