cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist>
Subject This has got to be a BUG.
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:59:13 GMT

OK, I am sure this is a bug in 2.1.4 and 2.1.5_dev:

1) Bring up the /samples/forms/v2/example page.

2) Type some garbage into the "IP Address" input field.

3) Click the "Add contact" or "Remove selected contacts" button at the
bottom of the page.

The page will redisplay indicating a validation failure, even though
the button pressed was an <fd:action>.

Does this prove that action widgets are broken?  This is from one of
the out-of-the-box samples, with no modifications.  I can see how this
is supposed to work... from org.apache.cocoon.forms.formmodel.Action:

     protected void handleActivate() {

...and I've confirmed in my own application that <fd:submit
validate="false"> does behave correctly!  So could this be a bug in the
READ_FROM_REQUEST ProcessingPhase, then?

When I asked this on the users list (before I came up with the sample
demonstration above), Joerg and Upayavira both suggested I use
'validate="false"'.  It wasn't clear that Joerg realized I was talking
about action widgets and not submit widgets, but Upayavira definitely
knew.  Can someone please definitively confirm for me that the
'validate' attribute does not have an effect for <fd:action>?  I tried
it and it doesn't make any difference; the Wiki documents it for
<fd:submit> only, and it states flatly that action widgets do not
trigger validation; and I can find nothing in the CForms source code to
give any encouragement to the idea that actions are sensitive to a
"validate" attribute.

P.S. — I know I've cried "wolf" a few times on the users list — not
with bug claims, just the usual "what am I doing wrong?" questions —
only to reply to my own post shortly thereafter because it turned out
to be some silly thing that I figured out.  Very lame, I know, and I
hope I haven't spent all my "help" tokens on the user list :-/... but
this really does look like a bug to me.  I hedged and didn't Bugzilla
it myself, because I don't want to create a spurious bug report, so if
I am way out in left-field on this, then my apologies for cluttering up
the dev list.  Thanks once again for a wonderful product.

View raw message