cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher Oliver" <coli...@SeeBeyond.com>
Subject block documentation (was RE: [RT] On building on stone)
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:53:41 GMT
Will the new block system allow plugging in a block's documentation? One
of the things I find most annoying about adding code to the Cocoon Forms
block is that there seems to be no reasonable place to put documentation
- or am I missing something?

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 8:16 AM
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: [RT] On building on stone

Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> "Old" blocks can (IMVHO) work just fine in the new container, "New"
> blocks will work a bazillion times better! :-P

Pier hits the nail on the head here: Cocoon's use of Avalon grew over
years and years, like a tectonic plate that while solid in a particular
time frame, over time morphs into thick and revolving crusts.

This doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It does, in fact. But Avalon's
generality and the aim to solve more problems in one shot ended up
harming us, so much so that Cocoon's code is more complex than it needs
to be.

Moreover, because of the way components are loaded, used and released
and how roles are established, there is simply no way we can have hot
deployable dynamic polimorphism.

What does this mean for you?

Well, it's rather simple: old code will work in an avalon sandbox. It
basically means that it will see cocoon *exactly* as it used to be
before.

But this will also mean that will be isolated from other blocks and will

not be able, for example, to load components from other blocks.

so, here is a picture

  +-------------+   +----------------+
  | Cocoon Core |---| Avalon Sandbox |
  +-------------+   | +------------+ |
        |           | |  old code  | |

        +----------| new code   |====| new block |

So, the question I hear emerging is: why should I migrate my code to the

new core?

The answer will come up shortly.

--
Stefano.