cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert <t...@lunartek.com>
Subject Re: [RT] On building on stone
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:45:56 GMT
Possibly, but JMX is also used to load and unload components.  If the
API matched, I can replace any component at runtime with a simple
config change.

JMX forms the kernel of JBOSS to handle all of it's inter-core loading
and can act as a runtime message-plane for communicating between
components.

It has more to it than just the ability to see into objects or
components through an MBean.

In the product I was referring to, we just update the config of the
server in its datastore (JMX allows us to use flat files, XML files and
databases if the API is consistent for the component) and then message
the backplane to reload, change, alter, download new components in
jars, etc. all at runtime.  The one thing we are adding in is MD5Urls
which is a new thing in the Jini API allowing us to distinguish between
different versions of similarly named jars.

So I think JMX can be a bolt on, or an underpinning depending on how
you use it.  I'd be surprised if it didn't meet the core of what you
described blocks needed.  If a block has a consistent API (Interface)
then any block that supports that API could be loaded/unloaded and
messaged to from other components using the JMX services and usage
guidelines.

Thoughts?
Thor HW