cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel2.2] Source Resolving
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:09:13 GMT
On 31 Mar 2004, at 10:56, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I just had some quick looks at the new kernel 2.2 and the
> first topic to discuss is source resolving :)
>
> Cocoon uses the excalibur source resolving package to resolve
> any resources (file, http, cocoon pipelines etc.).
> The kernel currently uses a similar construct
> but with new interfaces and implementations.
>
> In order to reuse what we already have and to be
> "more compatible" to Cocoon 2.0/2.1, I would suggest to use
> the sourcer resolver package here as well.
> Another reason is that we need a Source Resolver for the sitemap
> components anyway. Most sitemap components get the source resolver
> as a parameter in the setup (or act etc.) method.
>
> Now, I know that the original kernel should be as small as possible
> and if possible without references to any other projects which is
> in general great and ok, but I think for Cocoon it's better to use
> existing parts whereever possible.
>
> Ah, and if you think that one problem is that the sourceresolver
> package is hosted at avalon, we can/should solve this as well.
>
> WDYT?

Carsten, i think I introduced a little bit of confusion calling a
couple of things "Resource" and "Resolver"... Careful, those are
"resource" resolution for infra-block wirings. What does it mean? That
Wirings.resolve(String) or Wire.resolve(String) will NEVER resolve
things like "http:...." or "ftp:...", not even "cocoon:...." unless
those names are names of wirings specified in a block descriptor.

A sourceresolver must be implemented on top of this interface,
providing resolution for "http:...", "ftp:...", "cocoon:..." <and> a
new protocol called "block:..." which will fall back on the framework
resource resolvers.

As Stefano said in his original [RT] on blocks, any source-resolved
resource which need to fall back on blocks resolution will have to be
something like:

block:wiringname:...

The SourceResolver will have to look at the beginning (block:) and
understand that in needs to resolve the resource on the block's
resolver as "wiringname:...". If it begins with something else (cocoon:
for example) it will have to resolve in a different way...

The Resolver interface specifies that there's no contract between name
and the resource, maybe we could implement this in the
o.a.c.k.DeployedWirings class, change the interface, or whatever! :-)

Sorry for the confusion...

	Pier