cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Email account utilization warning.
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:15:39 GMT
On 31 Mar 2004, at 20:24, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> Without the full e-mail, including the routing headers, we can't tell
>> from
>> where it is coming.  Most likely some DHCP pool that has been turned
>> into a
>> nest of spambots.
>
> I know that, it's just weird that this passed thru since I don't think
> "management@apache.org" is subscribed to this mail list.

http://cr.yp.to/immhf/envelope.html

Qmail (and consequently ezmlm-issubn which is invoked by Qmail/ezmlm
and driven by environment variables) uses the envelope sender to set
the SENDER environment variable - instead of what is written in the
 From header.

Most probably, the envelope sender of said message was a valid, but
forged list subscriber address, i.e. Andrew's email address. The From
header could then contain whatever one would like (like
management@apache.org), it is ignored by Qmail anyhow. I can't check to
be sure, since my spam filter nuked the message already. :-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org