cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Corin Moss" <Corin.M...@tvnz.co.nz>
Subject RE: JCS Based Cache
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:59:15 GMT

You have a good point there - I'm simply going to have to replace the DefaultPersistentStore
at my end (for testing only of course ;)

One thing that has occurred to me whilst hammering the JISP based store, and looking at the
code in a bit more depth, is that all of the perceived problems come as a result of the incredibly
high iowait generated whilst accessing the store (mostly while writing I think.)  I notice
that the AbstractReadWriteStore within the Excalibur components uses FIFOReadWriteLock as
the lock - has anyone got much experience with this?  If there's a bug in there, it's possible
that it's not relinquishing locks properly - which would most likely manifest in very high
iowait (I theorise ;) I know that there are known issues with our version of JISP, but I'd
like to be reassured first-hand that the read/write lock implementation we're currently using
is totally robust.

JCS does have its own R/W lock of course - but I'd love not to have to change too many classes
;)

Cool,

Corin

-----Original Message-----
From: Bertrand Delacretaz [mailto:bdelacretaz@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 March 2004 8:45 p.m.
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: JCS Based Cache

Le Mardi, 2 mars 2004, à 08:16 Europe/Zurich, Corin Moss a écrit :

> ... I guess conceptually this really belongs within the
> Avalon-Excalibur-store framework, as it will sit along side
> AbstractJispFilesystemStore rather than on top of it...

Makes sense but I don't think it prevents you from implementing a Store
in the Cocoon source tree for now, like the (broken AFAIK)
org.apache.cocoon.components.store.impl.FilesystemStore which simply
extends AbstractFilesystemStore.

It can always be moved to Avalon later on if needed, but it might be
easier to work on it "here" for now.

What I don't see is how you can configure a different Store than the
DefaultPersistentStore, have you figured this out already? Cocoon uses
DefaultPersistentStore by default but I didn't find where this is
defined.

-Bertrand

us online at http://www.tvnz.co.nz