cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 22:55:11 GMT
(partly in reply to
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mozilla.devel.jseng/3038)

Dear all, more specifically Rhino devs,

the issue with Cocoon's Rhino fork seems to be appearing with
increasing rate on both the Rhino and Cocoon mailing lists. While the
discussion underneath remains strictly theoretical unless someone kicks
in and starts fixing things, I'd like to iterate over a couple of
thoughts and scenarios, if only as a means to start some common thread,
maybe even consensus, and to better understand where we stand at ATM. I
work with the ASF Cocoon project (ASF = Apache Software Foundation).

Cocoon has been investigating the use of continuations as a novel
approach to web application development quite a while before the
Rhino+cont fork. It were mainly Ovidiu Predescu and later on Chris
Oliver who started this exploration, first using a Java-based Scheme
interpreter, and then by refactoring Rhino in order to add
continuations support to the interpreter core - this work was done by
Chris.

Much of this work was done (undeliberately, as the Cocoon community
needed some time to actually buy the concept) a bit under the radar of
the Cocoon community, so it took us some time to fully realize that
Chris' Rhino fork now sits firmly in the core of Cocoon, and that the
fork situation is less optimal than it should be - most importantly
from a legal and community perspective.

First of all, there's a legal aspect. While forking is an unevitable
aspect of open source development, we do need to investigate whether it
is legal at all to fork and (re)license Rhino+cont under an ASL2.0
compatible license, in order to ship it with Cocoon.

This is troubled partly by the license status of Rhino itself. Upon
personal investigation a while ago, I found some source files which
where licensed using the NPL1.1
(http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/js/rhino/src/org/mozilla/
javascript/Context.java), while others used the newer MPL1.1
(http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/js/rhino/src/org/mozilla/
javascript/ClassCache.java). I think it is safe to state that the
intended overall license of Rhino was the tri-license combo MPL 1.1/GPL
2.0/LGPL 2.1 - which seems to be OK for redistribution as a library
with an ASF project according to the unofficial ASF license FAQ @
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Licensing

IMHO, it would be nice if the license status of Rhino is cleared out by
adding the correct license headers to the source files.

But we don't distribute the original Rhino version with Cocoon, we use
the one hosted at cocoondev.org instead
(http://cvs.cocoondev.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?cvsroot=rhino). So first
of all, we need to find out whether this fork can be effectively
licensed under an ASL2.0 compatible license (preferably the ASL license
itself). For that, it needs a copyright holder, which doesn't exist
ATM. One could think Chris is the logical choice as the copyright
holder, but this might be preposterous: he indeed adapted the code,
adding some good continuations juice to it, but didn't change the
license headers. From what I understand from the email archives, he did
had the intention to eventually merge stuff back into the official
Rhino trunk, but found no time to do so in due time, and eventually was
confronted with the situation that merging changes back in became much
harder than a simple "cvs merge" effort. So the cocoondev.org
Rhino+cont fork was born, without copyright holder and license, and
coincidentally became a valuable core component of Cocoon.

Simply put, the clarification of the license status of Rhino would
already learn us how to properly and legally fork Rhino for Cocoon's
purposes. Alas, forking and changing package names seems to be the only
easy way to move forward to address some urgent technical issues ATM:
when running Cocoon inside the WebLogic container, which ships with the
official Rhino library, our stuff clashes due to identical package
names. But before blessing this fork by changing package names, we need
to find out whether forking and relicensing Rhino under an ASL
compatible license can be done at all (besides the copyright holder
stuff, which we eventually might sort out on our own).

On the community perspective, it feels awkward to see a core feature of
Cocoon depend on a single-person effort, as much as we appreciate the
work of Chris. Upsofar, not many people joined him in his work, partly
because the interest of most Cocoon developers lies in the web
application framework spectrum rather than in language interpreters.
I'm sure this situation is greatly different in the Rhino community.
Also, we cannot simply put Chris' fork into Cocoon CVS since the
development of language interpreters are not part of our mission. The
use of continuations for webapp development however is becoming a core
part of our operations, and Rhino seems to be an ideal fit for that
ATM. Hence we forked and stored the result outside Cocoon CVS - on a
"friendly platform" however (cocoondev.org).

Of course, forking is a suboptimal situation, and I've been talking
with various people about other possible scenarios. None of these
scenarios however solved the merge problem, yet I'd like to put one up
here as some food for thought.

Without being a Mozilla Rhino intimate, I think it's safe to state that
Rhino could earn a lot from migrating from Mozilla to the ASF - perhaps
as a Jakarta project. It would be living in a pool of quite a few nice
Java projects, and I'm pretty sure it might attract a lot of interest
and grow its developer base that way. One way of doing this could be by
starting from the codebase of Chris' fork, which contains Cocoon's
precious continuations. While merging our continuations with the Rhino
trunk seems to be a painful process, I understand that the level of
backporting from the trunk required to bring his version back in line
with current Rhino evolutions might not be that hard
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mozilla.devel.jseng/3052 seems to
suggest this). I'm not in the position to confirm this, so I'd like to
hear the trunk developer's opinion about this.

Summarizing, we're seeking some clarification about the current license
status of Rhino for our fork, and I hope I've sketched a clear picture
about what lead us so far. We're not happy with it, yet we depend on
Chris' valuable work, and we want to preserve it somehow. There's the
idea about joining the ASF as well, but that won't reduce the merging
effort ahead of us. In that respect, I'm interested to find out whether
backporting trunk changes to our fork wouldn't be easier than merging
the continuations stuff, keeping the same set of functionalities.

I'd love to hear your comments!

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org