cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Accepting new blocks (was:: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/src/blocks/workflow/java/org/apache/lenya/xml )
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:05:47 GMT

Le Dimanche, 29 fév 2004, à 18:53 Europe/Zurich, Carsten Ziegeler a
écrit :

> As far as I know (from my weak memory :) ) there hasn't been a vote
> at Cocoon about "accepting" this block...

Sorry, last I told the lenya-dev guys that IMO a vote was not needed to
create a new block in Cocoon (but I also said that it would be polite
to ask ;-)

> ...I'm really worried that everyone starts a new block whenever he
> thinks it's right to do without asking anyone (This is not targetted
> at you Gregor.). I did this myself, yes.
> But I think we should sometime really start to discuss new blocks,
> otherwise we get burried under too many blocks noone maintains.
> In fact a block is a new subproject that perhaps should go through
> incubation etc...

You're right, I'm also guilty of creating a few blocks without formally

Seeing how hard it is to retrofit tests and docs to existing blocks,
maybe we should require the following for any new non-scratchpad block:
-automated tests
-documentation (in the block itself, I don't think our docs structure
makes it easy to integrate docs from blocks)
-a "community" (for example, at least three committers who need it)

And require a vote before creating a new block, where the creator must
provide evidence of the above.

View raw message