cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <>
Subject Re: What can I do?
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:05:39 GMT

On Mar 29, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Probably the hierarchy and flow of the documentation needs to be
>> abstracted from the content and look-and-feel. Looking through
>> documentation can be modeled as navigating a graph of tangentially
>> related elements, and, as Stefano recently pointed out, RDF models
>> graphs.
> I think even a simple dynamic navigation system based on keywords
> ("sitemap" "generators" "FileGenerator" etc) and document types
> ("reference" "tutorial" etc) would be much better than what we have
> now.

(pulling tongue out of cheek)

I wonder if a dynamic navigation based on search relevance and basic
rules could actually be built in a useful manner. Define a hierarchy
and constraints on elements in the hierarchy and turn it loose.

[node title="Sitemap"]
	[constraint query="//document/title like '%itemap%'" type="required" /]
	[constraint query="relevence-to("sitemap") > 90%" type="required" /]
	[node title="Matchers"]
	[node title="Blocks"]
		[foreach bock define templated queries to find relevant docs]

Structured, pre-determined searches for navigation. Probably this is
flawed as it cannot be described correctly as a hierarchy --
documentation really is a directed graph.

The benefit would be that as a document is added it is automagically
sorted, indexed, links are added in appropriate places, etc. The
biggest drawback is that it uses a constraint-based system which makes
it bloody difficult to figure out what is going on, and doesn't in fact
guarantee that a given piece of documentation will actually be linked
from anywhere =-)

View raw message