cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] On building on stone
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:36:56 GMT
On 23 Mar 2004, at 14:25, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Thus the proposal to write and maintain our own, in order to finally,
> once and for all, build on stone and escape the social quicksands in
> core depenendies.

Makes perfect sense to me. I guess we should look at our current
investment in ECM knowledge & code, look at Pier's alternative, and
basically decide and JFDI. We gave Avalon a loyal "customer" to deal
with in the past, but there never was a life-time engagement contract.
We already missed various new container efforts over @ Avalon, and I'm
confident we now know what we need and are able to build it ourselves
in the (new) core of Cocoon. Given the flurry of new containers out
there, I think people are demonstrating that container development is
not rocket science - and since it's core to Cocoon's operations, it's
sensible to deal with that ourselves.

There will be aspects of backward-compatibility to deal with, which we
can deal with by providing compatibility layers, or by just going for
Cocoon 3.0. 2.1 is there, it's solid and used a lot, and if there's
consensus that innovation should not be hindered by compatibility, we
can simply vote and start 3.0. I would humbly suggest not to change the
syntax of the sitemap into Lisp, though. ;-)

> Fire at will: I have my abstesto underwear on.

I honestly see no reason why. Thanks for biting the bullet, and even
more thanks to step up and agree to do part of the coding effort. I
hope many will join you.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org