cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:32:44 GMT
On 08 Mar 2004, at 11:16, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Very good point. It cannot be the ASF, and cocoondev.org isn't a legal
> entity that can hold a copyright. Considering that rhino+cont's single
> author is Chris, he could be the copyright holder, but community-wise
> this doesn't sound good.
>
> And in the same area, what will be (or can be) its license? Is it
> possible to relicense the fork or should we keep MPL?

IIRC, MPL 1.0 is tainted - 1.1 is not. And Rhino consists of source
code with a variety of license headers attached: a legal mess IMO.
Maybe we should ask for a to-be-forked donation from Mozilla to get a
"legally stable" snapshot to work upon.

My personal problem though is that I have a bit of an ethical issue
asking for a (donation) favor from an open source community, knowing
that we won't properly community-shepherd their code anyhow -
preferring our own fork for obvious reasons.

> Anyway, I'm +1 for the renaming, which, since the fork does exist,
> will make it clear and visible, along with solving the technical
> problems in WS and WL.

Maybe we could rename it into "Cocoon Scripting Engine" while we are at
it - as this seems to be a common usage pattern. ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org