cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [RT] On building on stone
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:47:12 GMT
On 23 Mar 2004, at 13:45, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>  2) create an avalon emulation layer for the legacy components that
>> would allow avalon components to run unmodified [this allows users to
>> have a smooth migration path and no immediate impact on their
>> development/mainteinance costs]
>
> Both sound very good assuming someone is able and willing to do the
> work. But I understand you and Pier would have (or already have had)
> energy to contribute.

I had quite a lot of time to spare on it as my employer (as the members
of the PMC know) asked me to lay down the groundwork for our next
back-end platform. And basically, I had to come up with a framework
satisfying certain requirements.

With the invaluable help of Stefano and his vision on blocks, I'm
pretty close to a release of the code, and if this community at large
wants to see more of the implementation and what I'm talking about,
just speak up, and I'll get a formal authorization from my manager
(until now, confirmation is only verbal).

I am sorry for those who are not on the PMC (on the PMC I keep a more
detailed status update, and occasionally post some code snapshots), but
it's not _MY_ code. Yes, I wrote it, but it's my EMPLOYER's code, and
legally I personally don't own it.

               - O -

Back from the working bench, right now all I can say is that some of
the contracts WILL HAVE to change in the root container, and Stefano's
100% right, we cannot use the contracts outlined by Avalon4.

That said, I am sure that on an individual block level (forgetting
about infra-block contracts) compatibility can be provided quite easily
by re-wrapping some of the interfaces, providing some extensions, and
doing some sh***y glue-work.

"Old" blocks can (IMVHO) work just fine in the new container, "New"
blocks will work a bazillion times better! :-P

	Pier