cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <>
Subject Re: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:06:44 GMT
On 10 Mar 2004, at 19:51, Steven Noels wrote:
> (OT for the non-ASF folks:) You seem to suggest that inclusion of
> non-ASL-licensed library dependencies inside ASF distributions should
> be deprecated, favoring a CPAN or FreeBSD ports -like mechanism
> instead. This will definitely lower the ease of use for end-users,
> which have been complaining already that we don't ship a binary
> distribution of Cocoon, let alone that we would ship a download which
> requires them to either hunt down additional packages themselves, or
> have an internet connection when installing Cocoon.

... which brings me around to something I've been pondering for a
while. Since Cocoon is a bit of a 'hub' in the open source world, it
brings together a stack of external libraries. Including these in the
core source distribution is clunky and painful for everyone. Have we
considered using Maven or similar to help manage these dependancies?
I'm still playing catch up with the architectural changes within cocoon
(this is still very much a part time job for me right now), so I don't
know how this would tie up with Blocks. I do know however that the
Geronimo project uses Maven to great effect, and they do separate
modules with their own code trees etc, so this may be a prior art.

Paul Russell

View raw message