cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [RT] On building on stone
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:45:44 GMT
Le 23 mars 04, à 14:25, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit :

<snip-good-stuff cause="mucho agreement"/>

> ...So, here is my detailed proposal:
>
>  1) implement our own framework and container in order to implement
> cocoon blocks [this creates the solid foundation that we control]
>
>  2) create an avalon emulation layer for the legacy components that
> would allow avalon components to run unmodified [this allows users to
> have a smooth migration path and no immediate impact on their
> development/mainteinance costs]

Both sound very good assuming someone is able and willing to do the
work. But I understand you and Pier would have (or already have had)
energy to contribute.

I think the "in order to implement cocoon blocks" bit is key: although
Avalon is obviously shaky at the moment, the current ECM stuff used
here is very stable and took a lot of work to polish. There must be a
very good reason to replace it, and if it's Real Blocks combined with
pouring concrete where needed, great!

> ... 4) keep the framework and container *MINIMAL* to our own needs.
> [we WILL NOT redistribute the framework independently]..

Sure. But if the next Cocoon Core is sufficiently small (and
*perceived* as such) and powerful, people might want to use it "just"
as a container, even for simple things...

> ...Fire at will: I have my abstesto underwear on.

No need for it as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for your realistic and
respectful point of view.

-Bertrand