cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:15:41 GMT
Le Vendredi, 12 mars 2004, à 13:14 Europe/Zurich, Geoff Howard a écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Sounds like the way to go, intelligently downloading dependencies
>> from some non-ASF repository should solve most, maybe all of the
>> licensing problems, and help make Cocoon more lightweight for many
>> uses.
>>
>> IIRC last time this was discussed the debate quickly moved to a
>> heated discussion on the relative merits of Maven and other similar
>> tools - if we're going to discuss this again, we must be careful to
>> focus on the goals rather than on the tools!
>

> Isn't this missing the whole point of the current licensing
> discussion?  If we cook up a system that allows us to create and
> distribute cocoon but that product now cannot be used to build a
> commercial application without questions of further license
> requirements (source code availability, etc.) have we served our users
> well? ...

There are several blocks already (fins for example) which cannot be
distributed with Cocoon because of incompatible licenses, even though
for many users these licenses wouldn't be a problem. This causes these
components to get less visibility than they might deserve.

I think it can only serve Cocoon to have a mechanism where such
"license-incompatible" stuff can be better integrated from our user's
point of view.

IMO, allowing dependencies to be downloaded automatically from non-ASF
sites would help in this respect, whatever the outcome of the current
discussion about licensing is.

So I think it makes sense to discuss these matters (dependencies
management and licensing issues) separately.

-Bertrand