cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [RT] On building on stone
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:07:49 GMT
I keep forgetting to add something...

On 23 Mar 2004, at 13:45, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> ... 4) keep the framework and container *MINIMAL* to our own needs.
>> [we WILL NOT redistribute the framework independently]..
>
> Sure. But if the next Cocoon Core is sufficiently small (and
> *perceived* as such) and powerful, people might want to use it "just"
> as a container, even for simple things...

My employer doesn't care really about what happens to the code, we're
going to use it anyway as our foundation, whether it's donated to
Cocoon and we maintain our own "fork", whether you guys want it at all
or not... All that VNU cares about is that we deliver a platform  based
on _OUR_ blocks (lots of which you will never see in a million years,
because they're core of our business! :-)

BTW, not to scare anyone, I work for a news company
<http://www.vnunet.com/> , not a software company. OUR blocks will be
those blocks linking our websites to our backends (Oracle Databases,
Navision Financials, QuarkDMS publishing environments, and yada yada
yada).

All they asked me for for is some form of "recognition" if the code
ends up in Cocoon land (quick quick, go back and modify the @author
fields in the classes to include VNU Publications), so that they  can
prepare a nice "press release" to please our investors, and they can
have better discounts when asking for something to be developed by
Orixo :-) (hi guys! :-P)

My _personal_ requirement, is that I wouldn't want a clean-cut fork to
happen, because at the end of the day, I'd have to abandon the Cocoon
fork and get back to the VNU's fork (doh, they pay me).

A directory on the CVS repository which I can check out and build
without requiring too many dependancies on Cocoon's main "publication
core" will be more than enough, I can build my own "Ant" build files.
That would make my (working) life _so_ much easier...

	Pier