cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Rename Rhino-with-continuations packages
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:22:45 GMT
Ugo Cei dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> This mean another "official" forking of the Rhino engine. That also mean
>> users of BEA and IBM AS will have 2 flowscript engine there, right? The
>> current deployed with org.mozilla.* and our one org.cocoondev.*
>>
>> This can be easily traduced in more memory usage, etc. Is this correct?
>>
>> Currently, I am -0 because of these concerns.
>
> If I understand correctly, without this change, Weblogic and Websphere
> users won't be able to use continuations at all (and maybe even
> flowscript), so the point about more memory usage sounds moot, doesn't it?

The memory is just 1 issue and is not the main point. See the "etc" behind
it.

The point is about performance. AFAIK, in a multi-thread AS a 1 ms can
make a diference, is n't? The other think is what other packages BEA and
IBM forked? Will we need to add another forking to support them? Things
are not clear to me.

BTW, I don't use any of them and after this issue I think it will be hard
I start to using them. I know it is not important if I use them or not. It
is not the point. Fortunately, there are other options, ie: JBoss, right?
;-)

> Besides, if you're running either WL or WS and you're paying either the
> license fees or the army of consultants that it takes to run them
> properly, you wouldn't mind a few bucks for a couple extra RAM modules
> ;-).

It is true the cheap memory can save many asses here. But to me this also
sound an alarm: It is worth to use them at all?

> Ah, by the way, I'm +1 on what Christopher suggested.

Sorry, but, I am still -0. :-(

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo