cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Turning off default MRU store
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:06:10 GMT
Geoff Howard dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>>Geoff Howard dijo:
>>

>>>Ok, I think this bears bringing this issue up in a new thread (so people
>>>notice it).  The point I take out of this is that JCS makes it explicit
>>>that successful persistence is not currently guaranteed (at least in the
>>>default better-performing configuration).  For all we know, this may
>>>have been the case with JISP too but just not explicit.  I don't know if
>>>people have used our Cache as a persistence layer for application data.
>>>I would not have recommended it before, and definitely would not now if
>>>we go to JCS.  I'm comfortable with this.
>>>

>>BTW, OJB can uses JCS too:
>>
>>http://db.apache.org/ojb/objectcache.html
>
> This is exactly the reason this point needs to be clear.  Knowing that
> persistence is not guaranteed in all circumstances, I would not want
> anyone using our upcoming JCS Cache for persistence of critical
> application data without being clearly aware of the risks in the case of
> abnormal shutdown.

Hi Geoff:

I think we can switch. As you stated before, we don't have even with jisp
this "feature". I understand we can have concerns this weak. And I am +1
to solve this in the near future. I think it is a matter of time when JCS
will implement this. I think a NOTE in the RELEASE NOTES will be enough to
let know people about potetial issues.

NOTE: In the OJB case the usage of JCS is just one of the cache approahing
we can use. JCS is optional in OJB.

I am +1 to move to JCS. :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.