cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Kernel2.2] Source Resolving
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:25:17 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2004, at 17:52, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> Sorry for jumping in,
>

> Jumping in is always good, no matter what, it makes you see things
> from different perspectives...
>
>>  and maybe this is what you meant, but the framework
>> should supply the resolver framework and then individual resolver
>> implementations for the basic protocols (http:, file:, ftp:, etc.).
>

> Oh, yes... I mean, the individual protocol resolvers should absolutely
> be individual blocks. I'm just wondering if that kind of source
> resolution should be provided by the framework through its interfaces,
> or whether it simply should be simply delegated to a block required by
> other blocks (same thing works for logging as well).

IMO, source resolving, as currently understood in Cocoon, should be
handled at some higher level by components inside the blocks. Some of
the resolving (starting with "block:") will be implemented by using the
kernel's mechanisms, but IMO the full source resolving shouldn't be in
the kernel.

But I may be totally wrong, having hard times to follow the discussion
(I wish I could work full time on this...)

Sylvain