cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Russell Beattie on Java, PHP web development
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:24:22 GMT
Tony Collen wrote:

> Found this in my news aggregator today:
>
> http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1007175.html
>
> He brings up a lot of interesting points... why do something "right"
> if it's complex and hard to understand, when you can do something "the
> wrong way" and get by with having code that works, but it's easy to
> develop?
>
> <quote>
> Is there a name for this type of development? Solution-Oriented
> Programming? Functional Development? Useful Coding? I mean, just
> imagine how cool Java programming would become if this sort of thing
> got as popular as that Pattern fad that came through not too long ago?
> It'd be so fun!
> </quote>
>
> Does Cocoon fall into this type of solution, or do we spend too much
> time "doing the right thing"? Russell has previously stated that he
> thinks Cocoon is to complex, and requires too much work to get up to
> speed.
>
> Flowscript definitely revolutionizes web development, I think we just
> need to prove it to people that it's worth their time... the problem
> is that if they have to learn all of the other stuff to go along with
> it, they'll easily get turned off, and run back to PHP and The Old Way
> Of Doing Things.

Quick answer (I'm late for going home).

Firstly, this has alway been Russell's motto, and, considering his
statements on PHP, I have the impression he progressively goes down in
the evolution tree of technologies.

Secondly, about Cocoon, I experienced the fact that CForms & FlowScript
involve only a very limited subset of Cocoon features, and that people
don't need to learn nor understand all of them to get started with a web
applications. But after using this limited subset, they start using more
and more features ;-)

Sylvain