cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [cforms] discussing the scratchpad (was Re: [WIKI-UPDATE] SandBox WoodyScratchpad Mon Mar 29 21:00:04 2004)
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:38:44 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Marc Portier wrote:

<snip />

> Tim and I once discussed the @define and @extend on IRC (which resulted
> in the wiki scratchpad page), but there was no repository at that time.

that part of history I didn't know...

>> so here goes the idea:
>> each cforms defintion file can @define reusable definition-templates
>> and to reuse them in a different file you would need to refer to it in
>> some way, hence the prefix idea
>>
>> from there I saw the resemblance to how xmlns binds a prefix to a uri,
>> and tzadaam
>>
>> I think this confirms your fresh understanding, right?
>

> Yep, and I totally agree with this. Having a hierarchy of types would
> lead to a complicated mess from a user point of view. Also, my remark on
> nested repositories is finally non-sense. A repository only publishes
> the types it defines, even if these types extend types defined by
> another repository. Repository import is not a transitive relation.
>
> So +1 for @prefix and namespaced notation, as types and widget ids leave
> in different spaces.

yep, that was the feeling

> Now for type repositories to be real repositories, there's something
> missing in the samples: we should be able to define a type without
> defining a widget. In other words, it should be legal to have no @id if
> there is a @defines, e.g:
>
> <wd:field defines-type="date-field">
>  <wd:datatype base="date"/>
> </wd:field>
>
> This has the effect of declaring the type, but not producing any actual
> widget in the parent container (be it a form or a repository).

it's already there Sylvain: sample2 on the scratchpad page

>> <snip />
>>
>>> "choice" is better, as it *is* a widget. It's a container widget with
>>> an id (therefore defining a scope) and no value.
>>>
>>> This container can have two kinds of children:
>>> - regular widgets that are referenced by the "case" and are therefore
>>> common to several cases,
>>> - "case" widgets that are in turn container for regular widgets and
>>> references for the above common widgets.
>>>
>>> This leads to the interesting fact that common widgets can actually
>>> be referenced by two names: one considering only their definition,
>>> and one considering their reference in a case.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> <wd:choice id="some-id">
>>>  <wd:field id="field-A".../>
>>>  <wd:case id="case-0" expr="case-1-expression">
>>>    <wd:ref id="field-A"/>
>>>  </wd:case>
>>> </wd:choice>
>>>
>>> field-A can be referenced using "some-id.field-A" (don't care about
>>> the actual case) and "some-id.case-o.field-A". It's canonical name
>>> (used in request parameters) will be of course "some-id.field-A".
>>>

>> hm, I think Tim and I were still thinking about not having the choice
>> actually contain it's widgets... (I have to say I'm still doubthing,
>> but don't see it yet)
>

> Mmmh... are you stating that wd:choice doesn't contain its widgets? Or
> do you mean wd:case?

I _was_ making a statement on wd:choice, but you convinced me: choice is
a container, requestparams should be nested choiceID.childID

> The problem we have to solve with wd:choice is that there can be some
> widgets that are common to different cases. But IMO a wd:choice should
> not reference widgets that are its siblings, but *contain* them.
> wd:choice is a container.
>
> Now the question is whether a wd:case can define its own widgets (i.e.
> it is a container, child of the wd:choice) or if if can only reference
> widgets defined in wd:choice (and therefore represent the "value" of the
> wd:choice).
>
> References are needed in a wd:case since we need widgets common to
> different cases.
>
> Widgets in a wd:case implicitely turns them into container, leading to
> the dual path I outlined above. Thinking further, this overcomplexifies
> the widget containment. Also, a wd:case can be considered as the "value"
> of the wd:choice, driving, as you point out below, the list of available
> children in the wd:choice.

yes, but I think there is two things, though

as I see it the 'choice' has a value that can be set
(either by a request carrying its value, or by eventhandling code)

setting of that value will lead to the cases to be re-evaluated
the chosen case (internall processing to the choice class) does two things:
- 1/ describe which child-widgets need to be instantiated
- 2/ set some 'choice-label' where the template-transformer can react upon?

as I see it that last one != the actual 'value'

in any case, the wd:case are not to be seen as containers nor widgets
(they should thus not have an @id)

> So, here's a sum up of my (current) opinion: wd:choice is a container
> whose children are the widgets for all cases, and wd:case only define
> test expressions that decide the available children of the wd:choice and
> its "value", that can be used later on in the template.
>
> How does this sound?

matches my understanding indeed

>> i.e. the request-param in my head would just be 'field-A', there is
>> however also a 'some-id' request param to communicate the value that
>> will drive the choice...
>

> Mmmh..., IMO this will be "some-id.field-A", and there should *not* be a
> parameter driving the choice. It's the result of the server-side
> evaluation of the test expressions. Otherwise, we're open to consistency
> problems and hacked requests.

hm, didn't think about that, but in the cases where you have a very
clear link between a widget and the choice to make this means that
people will need to add an explicit widget to their definition

in my head that would be a styling aspect: the template would choose if
its on the form or not

have to think about the hacking though, what could go wrong?

>> also, I don't know if there are to be two paths into the beast: point
>> being that the 'case' part is IMHO not to be a separate
>> widget-definition class, but rather a part of the
>> configuration/processing context of the widget
>

> Yep. The wd:case defines the "value" of the wd:choice.

see above, I don't think it needs to be matching the 'value', I think
it's something else (that's probably how I avoid the hacking issue?)

>> in other words: when asking a choice-widget which children it has, it
>> would just list the currently 'chosen' widgets, and not the nested cases.
>

> Agree.
>
>> (hm, the last paragraph does sound like there is some
>> parent-child/containment that justifies the nested request-param...)
>

> Yes :-)

thx for shedding the light :-)

>>> Case id's are also important because they will be used in views to
>>> select which part of the template is to be displayed.
>>

>> not sure here, couldn't the template just react on those widgets that
>> seem to have been 'chosen' at the time?
>

> This isn't sufficient, as the view may want to produce different layouts
> or informative text depending on the chosen case.

yeah, you're right the selected case should set some 'choice-label' oinm
which the template can react

>> from a styling POV you'll probably have a custom style surounding each
>> of the possible children, and maybe other arrangements depending on
>> the mix of available widgets... so reacting on the mix seems more
>> sensible then duplicating the decision logic in the template, no?
>>
>> in any case, looking at the use-case behind these, I tend to believe
>> that a generator approach is more natural, no?
>

> Yes, definitely yes. I started using the generator approach a while ago
> (with JXTemplate macros) because I needed:
> - different renderings for empty/non-empty repeaters (don't want a table
> with just headers if it's empty)
> - a very special rendering for a wd:output containing the ID of a node
> in a tree structure (the rendering shows the full path of the node, a la
> dmoz.org, with i18nized node labels)
> - conditional blocks depending on a widget's value (actually a poor
> man's wd:choice)
>
> These features are impossible to achieve with a transformer, but are
> really easy with a generator.

yep, revisiting the generator is also somewhere on my todo list

regards,
-marc=