cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: CocoonTask
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:54:43 GMT
C├ędric Damioli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using CocoonTask, wich allow CocoonBean to be embedded in a Ant
> build script.

Great. I'm glad to hear you're using it.

> I'm wondering if there's any reasons why there's no access (via
> protected method or fields or whatever) to the CocoonBean.

Basically, the CocoonBean is invoked via reflection, using a different
classloader. Now, I'm no reflection expert, and calling each getter and
setter one at a time using reflection seemed unreasonably complex. So, I
chose to create a Delegate class, invoke that with reflection, and have
that do the real work.

> I wanted to use it directly to add BeanListeners, eventually add
> targets, and so on...

What sort of listeners would you like to add? If you want to specify a
different listener, I would suggest coming up with a generic way to
specify listeners and add that to the BeanConfigurator, so that all
users of the CLI and Ant task get to benefit.

> IMHO, the best way to "open" the CocoonTask is to allow subclasses to
> change the delegate class
> ("org.apache.cocoon.bean.helpers.AntDelegate" at the moment) and to
> give this delegate access to the calling Ant project.

So you supply a piece of java that configures the bean before running?
Hmmm, I would much rather extend the xconf format to be able to add
everything you want. The CocoonTask really should not assume any Java
knowledge in its users.

Regards, Upayavira