cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [cforms] Repeater Binding Revisited.
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:14:02 GMT

Tim Larson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:06:39PM +0200, Marc Portier wrote:
>
>>Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>>
>>>It would be fine. While starting using Cforms I often found myself asking
>>>by the right name. I cannot stop thinking in the repeater as a List.
>>
>>yes, a list of rows
>

> Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but the name "repeater"
> has never quite sat well with me.  When I explain it to people they look
> at me funny until I break down and say "it's a table!". This is not
> quite right, since it does much more than act as a static table, but do
> you have any ideas for a clearer/more intuitive name for it?

LOL, I like the story :-)

on my side though I've never quite questioned the repeater-name...
in fact I really don't remember if it was Bruno or me who first started
calling it that, but I can't remember any unease on his or my side about
it: we both must be missing some comparable type of braincells :-)

in any case, I would not switch to 'table' since it has an obvious
association to presentation in terms of both the html table and some
view of a grid of rows and columns which is doing unjustice to the fact
that it is really just 'repeating' :-)

Peter's mail did start me thinking on the fact that our repeater is
doing two things:
1. define a struct
2. allow multiple instances of that struct in it
I don't know where this observation is leading me yet though ...

in any case, if there is more people that do have the proclaimed
we-cant-parse-repeater-braincells let them all be assured I'm quite open
to alternative names for it

regards,
-marc=