cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: java continuations
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:05:27 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Dear friends and folks,
>
> as already announce on the PMC list we now have another flow
> implementation for java!
>
> Stephan completed my proof-of-concept and replaced the Brakes stuff by
> an own implementation. So we are now fully in ASL land.

Yeah! You're kings guys!

> We would like to commit this implementation as a block. It comes with
> examples so anyone can give it a try.
>
> The block is currently named "jflow". But we also talked about
> "javaflow". So what would you guys prefer:
>
> [ ] jflow
> [X] javaflow
> [ ] ________
> [ ] nah... put it somewhere else

jflow isn't good as it doesn't allow the distinction between JS and Java.

Now what should go in that block: the _flow_ implementations, or the
class enhancer? I would stay that only the flow implementation has its
place inside Cocoon's CVS. But finding a more suitable place for the
enhancer (BCEL, jakarta-commons, codehaus?) may take some time, and we
may temporarily host in in the javaflow block.

Now about whether Cocoon should have two flow implementations, I think
that this is a very special case where it makes sense, as it touches the
programming language area, where Cocoon brings nothing new to the
picture (except of course continuations), and therefore has to consider
people's habits. Convincing people that flow is a good thing is rather
easy (considering the number of Wows!), but selling a particular
programming language (as opposed to some XML dialect) is sometimes
difficult. Some people will love JS and be frightened by Java, and some
others won't consider writing code using a language other than Java.

That's why I think both implementations have their place in Cocoon.

Ah, and would it be possible to use the class enhancer to enable
continuations in a compiled (as in ".class") JS script? This may help us
solving the current Rhino issues.

Sylvain