cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] On building on stone
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:09:46 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:

> [...]

This is totally not true. Avalon was designed and developped even before
Cocoon existed.

> What was imposed to Cocoon? Its should be the opposite.

Cocoon and Avalon worked together for a long time and several mistakes
were made in Avalon due to Cocoon pressure (ComponentSelectors, for
example).

When Cocoon reached the point where Avalon was simply good enough,
Cocoon stopped pressuring avalon for changes and started to pressure
avalon for stability.

All things that the avalon community was developping had no appeal to
the cocoon community.

The trend continues so far.

The idea of having one container to rule them all is nice on paper,
impossible in real life.

>>and this will go away with a
>>simpler container framework. We'll just have to adjust our user's
>>perceptions once this is realized ;-)
>
> Hey, wait a minute. You're about to create a container that will support
> _hot deployable dynamic polimorphism_ and this will be simpler than ECM? I'd
> like to see that.

It won't be simpler than ECM, but its use will.

But don't worry, this is nothing carved in stone, this is just our
proposal... having it inside the community makes it possible for us to
converge toward something that will make everybody happy.

--
Stefano.