cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] On building on stone
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:54:43 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I want Cocoon to last long and to be able to stand the pressure of a
> big user community, a diverse development community and that of
> companies built on top of it.

<snip/>

> So, here is my detailed proposal:
>
>  1) implement our own framework and container in order to implement
> cocoon blocks [this creates the solid foundation that we control]
>
>  2) create an avalon emulation layer for the legacy components that
> would allow avalon components to run unmodified [this allows users to
> have a smooth migration path and no immediate impact on their
> development/mainteinance costs]
>
>  3) operate as incrementally as possible and work to change as little
> code as possible [this makes the community transition smoother,
> reduces enthropy and bugs introduced by the new code]
>
>  4) keep the framework and container *MINIMAL* to our own needs. [we
> WILL NOT redistribute the framework independently]
>
>  5) the name for our framework+container will be simply Cocoon Core
>
>  6) I volunteer to help directly in writing code

Although this means that we enter a long road before having 2.2, I think
this is the way to go. The Cocoon house is big, and it must have solid
foundations that it controls in order to continue growing.

Now point 2 is important, as lots of people have invested in Cocoon and
would be very confused if we abruptly changed the way Cocoon works.
Fortunately, we stayed on ECM and avoided the migration to more complex
containers, which should ease the writing of this compatibility layer.

It's also the occasion to consider what we can learn from the good, the
bad and the ugly in existing containers while building our own,
specifically adapted to our needs. As Steven said, so many people write
their own containers nowadays that it's certainly not rocket science,
although it requires clever ideas, an area in which Pier and you have
proved your abilities ;-)

<snip/>

> Fire at will: I have my abstesto underwear on.

Put it off: it doesn't help to get code written (see point 6)!

Sylvain