cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Empty elements and the XHTML (XML) Serializer
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:10:02 GMT
On 22.03.2004 22:39, Tim Larson wrote:

> This thread on the users ml identifies a problem with our XHTML
> serialization.  We might be matching the standard, but with current
> browsers I do not know of any good work-arounds that do not mess with
> the data sent back and forth through things like <textarea />.

As J.Pietschmann already wrote on the users ml: it's probably only an
issue of standard vs. quirks mode. Sending the correct Doctype +
namespace should make these closed elements working as expected.

> Should we try to solve this via either adding a new XHTML serializer or
> by parameterizing the current XML serializer?  WDYT?

How do you want to solve this? Can you influence the serializing of an
element? The serialization is done by Xalan! And AFAIK Xalan does the
serialization correct for both HTML (start and end tag) and XHTML
(closed tag).

Joerg