cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Less is more... or less? (was Re: v2 forms flowscript example)
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:26:45 GMT
Tim Larson wrote:

> [...]
from JS than when used from Java? IMO, this is arbitrarily limiting the features available
in flowscript.

>>>But isn't this our design approach? If I remember correctly our FOM discussions,
"less is more", right?

>>Well, time for a bit of rant on this.
>>
>>I'm personally not that happy with "less is more" as it was applied to FOM. Although
I agree that bloated APIs should be avoided, restricting the Cocoon core APIs (the environment)
in some specific area of Cocoon (flowscript) seems to me an arbitrary constraint.

>I agree with "less is more" in designing API's, but when we have what should be *one*
API exposed in two environments it should be the *same* API, modulo environment-specific ease-of-use
enhancements. In short, I think everything that is public in the Java API should also be directly
available in the JS API.  I interpret "less is more" to mean expose-in-both or expose-in-neither,
otherwise we create confusion.

+1000. That's exactly my point.

Sylvain