cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: v2 forms flowscript example
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:13:53 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Christopher Oliver wrote:

>>> Actually, I don't think it should even mention "wrappers". IMO, the
>>> underlying Java widgets are an implementation detail of the
>>> Flowscript API and should never be used directly in a script. The
>>> documentation should simply say that the return value of
>>> Form.getWidget() is the JS representation of <fd:form> instance.
>>

>> Why is there a need to have a different API for widgets when used
>> from JS than when used from Java? IMO, this is arbitrarily limiting
>> the features available in flowscript.
>>
>> The good thing of these wrappers is that they simplify the notation
>> for browsing the widget tree (by avoiding 'getWidget()'), but the
>> fact that some limits come with this simplified notation is IMO not
>> good.
>

> There isn't (or shouldn't be) any limitation in functionality in the
> V2 API. Do you see a  limitation?

I haven't made the exhaustive comparision between ScriptableWidget and
every Widget implementation, but my bell rang when seeing all methods of
all widgets gathered in a single class.

>> Furthermore, what if someone designs their own new widget with some
>> specific APIs? They simply cannot access them unless they modify the
>> ScriptableWidget class, which will hold all APIs of all widgets (this
>> is already the case with e.g. repeater-specific functions).
>

> It wasn't my goal to allow user-defined widgets, but if that is
> desired it should be possible to refactor ScriptableWidget to make it
> easy to do that.

AFAIU, this could be achieved by extending NativeJavaObject and just
adding shortcut access to child widgets in has() and get(). Am I right?

Sylvain