cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: WebDAV status in cocoon
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:57:04 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote on 17-3-2004 21:25:

> Unico Hommes wrote:
>
>> As far as Slide integration in Cocoon goes there are two options. Run
>> Slide separate from Cocoon and access it over WebDAV (the architecture
>> I am currently using for a couple of clients in production) or
>> in-process with Cocoon and access it via the special SlideSource and
>> directly on the Slide API. The Slide samples use this approach.
>

> I'd be interested in hearing your opinion about the two different
> approaches.

I think the better option is to let all communication happen over
WebDAV. There was a time when I was concerned about performance and
network overhead but the latter is currently not the bottleneck for
Slide :-/. So in both scenarios you'd need to do some heavy caching anyway.

The advantage of using WebDAV is of course that you're interfacing with
a well known standard instead of a proprietary API (that is possibly
going to be deprecated in favor of JCR API in the future). Perhaps when
JCR becomes stable and main stream this it may become different story.
Another advantage of WebDAV is that it is not tied to Java alone and
works naturally for distributed architectures.

--
Unico