cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Guido Casper <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: Experience with workflow at Hippo Webworks
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:20:57 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> Hmm, not sure.  Work flow has been around well over 10 years and pretty
> well defined for all that time.

That may be true for the term in general (although I'm not so sure about
it as almost each time I hear somebody mentioning that term it's in a
different context and I perceived existing implementations as suffering
from a lack of a focussed definition). But I rather see this community
come up with its own definition driven by its own needs (hope I'm not
too much driven by my own perception). TBH I have been expecting a much
more participated discussion.

> It's missing a single language such as
> "SQL" but the various XML standards seem to have many basic concepts in
> common.  You need a certain minimum set of functionality to have work
> flow in any real sense of the concept.
>
> Having said that, yes start small, build a basic API, but like I said
> previously, having done so, be prepared to throw it out

Yes. I take that as a precondition for any scratchpad code (if not for
any code within the Cocoon CVS). However there doesn't seem to be much
interest in that code anyway. So I rather wait for other suggestions.

Guido

--
Guido Casper
S&N AG, Competence Center Open Source