cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject I18N and multiple source files
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:08:20 GMT
It seems that Cocoon's I18N code is more geared towards
internationalisation of 'webapps' rather than static sites.

It deals with menu items, etc, taking the various translations from
catalog files, as necessary.

However, when you want to build a static site, where the entire content
is in different languages, you need a way to pick the right file at the
generator stage.

Therefore, I think we need an I18N input module. It would do something like:

<map:match pattern="**/*.html">
  <map:generate src="{1}/{i18n:{2}.{locale}.xml"/>
</map:match>

[NB. I'm not sure if nested input modules are allowed, so the syntax
might need to change, but the idea should be sound]

So, here you can specify that, if the user requests userdocs/index.html,
with a locale of de, you want to use userdocs/index.de.xml as your
source file.

Two other areas that it should support:
(1) If the user specifies preferences in terms of locale, it should
serve back the page most suiting their preference, e.g they might supply
de, en, saying they prefer German, but English would be okay.
(2) If a translation in the user's language does not exist, it should
offer a page in the 'default' language.

Does this make sense as a proposition?

If so, two questions:
(1) How best to represent the syntax of this, which will need to give
access to values from matchers, and to the current locale
(2) What code in the I18N codebase could be reused to achive this?

For more info on where this came from see these threads on forrest-dev:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107934498216665&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107935916929536&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107936342115987&w=2

Regards, Upayavira