cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 05:17:35 GMT
Litrik De Roy wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:

>> And although Rhino isn't GPL, from what I read of the Mozilla license it
>> also has the requirement that anything that it is packaged with must
>> also be
>> under the Mozilla license, which makes it just as bad as the GPL from a
>> commercial standpoint.
>>
>> Ralph
>>

> Hum.... that's the same impression I got after reading the responses on
> this list by some of the Mozilla people.
>
> But there seems to be a difference in the MPL
> (http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html) between modifying source code
> and using the executable in a larger piece of software.
>
> When you modify the source code 3.1 clearly states that these
> modifications should be MPL as well: "The Modifications which You create
> or to which You contribute are governed by the terms of this License".
>
> But when you simply use the executable version of MPL code in a larger
> piece of software 3.7 says the following:
> "You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with other code
> not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger Work
> as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the requirements
> of this License are fulfilled for the Covered Code."
>
> Note that the end of the line says "Covered Code" and not "Larger Work".
> So the "Covered Code" that is MPL, stays MPL. But anything surrounding
> it ("Larger Work") does *not* automatically become MPL as well . This is
> (IMHO) the difference with GPL.

you are 100% correct.

The MPL is *NOT* a reciprocal license (viral is a bad term) in respect
to the code that surrounds it, but it is for the modifications inside.

So, this means that if Chris puts those modifications under the MPL 1.1,
we are kosher.

Anyway, people, let's not freak out: there is *NOTHING* going on to
change the status quo. What you were able to do yesterday with the code,
you are able to do today and you'll be able to continue to do tomorrow.

Period.

The ASF is just trying cover all possible ass here, so that we can serve
our users better in order to guarantee that we'll still be around tomorrow.

Because, since SCO arrived in town you never know.

--
Stefano.