cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From JD Daniels ...@datatrio.com>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:18:36 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> FYI,
>
> My company is a large ASP. Each of our customers runs our products as if
> from their own web site, although they are all sharing the same code.
> Our development effort is using Cocoon as our Presentation Tier for our
> products, as it allows us to totally customize the look and feel for
> each of
> our customers. Eventually we also want to package the product and sell it
> to large customers who want to run it at their site. Of course, this will
> include Cocoon. Obviously, the kind of tricks being talked about here
> would
> not allow us to redistribute Cocoon. Our customers would have to get it
> themselves - which, of course, is totally unacceptable.
>
> Ralph

Definitely no I would hope. I have been tacking copyright on the bottom
of all my stuff thinking of cocoon as httpd.... I put copyright
joecompany.com on a regular web site, and no one has ever implied I was
infringing on httpd.  Not the server the pages are served by. However, I
think it would be different if I jarred my stuff up with cocoon and a
jdk, and gave it to a cutsomer to run on a local network. *that*, I
think, constitutes redistributing. As far as distributing cocoon, we are
talking about guys like me, who are designing data systems for the
customers. *we* are the ones who need to configure up a server to
provide the *service* of cocoon for our systems to utilize, not a
redistributable product. My customers have no idea they are using
cocoon. I show them where to type, what to click, and watch them get
giddy when I tell them they don't need to spend thousands on a M$ framework.

(My newest was using access, and discovered he needed to reverse his
personal upgrade, or have his whole office upgraded to office 2003...
when I showed him a demo of some other stuff, he never asked, just said
yup ok go)

So, if we have to get rhino as a separate package.. it will be us who
has to deal with it, and most of us know what we have signed on for. It
will suck getting new people interested, true, But putting this in the
context of final end-business-customers downloading and running cocoon
is not really a wise way to approach the subject

JD