cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Co coon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:18:57 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> FYI,
>
> My company is a large ASP.  Each of our customers runs our products as if
> from their own web site, although they are all sharing the same code.
> Our development effort is using Cocoon as our Presentation Tier for our
> products, as it allows us to totally customize the look and feel for each of
> our customers.  Eventually we also want to package the product and sell it
> to large customers who want to run it at their site.  Of course, this will
> include Cocoon.  Obviously, the kind of tricks being talked about here would
> not allow us to redistribute Cocoon. Our customers would have to get it
> themselves - which, of course, is totally unacceptable.

Ralph,

it is enough that your company reads all the licenses of the libraries
in the /legal directory that come with cocoon and complies to the
restrictions that they impose when redistributing the code.

That's it.

We are trying to address the problem of people believing that it's
enough for them to say "this includes software by the ASF" and fail to
comply to those other licenses, so if they get sued, they sue us back
for not having been clear about how we license our stuff and blame us.

I personally think it's just SCO-induced paranoia and can be addressed
with a big "red blinking sign" but hey, I'm not the lawyer and I'm not
the one who gets to decide those things.

--
Stefano.