cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:32:26 GMT
> Is a company using Cocoon to deliver web applications redistributing
> Cocoon? (yes, I think).

That's the question! I'd say no ...as long as you
don't bundle it and sell it as part of you software
removing the license or the like.

But AFAIU you may use those (for us) problematic
jars in your project. But hell - I am no lawyer.

> Then from what I can tell, a good portion of
> even our own committers, not to mention people on the users list would
> have a problem.

Of course that would give a different picture.

>> If it's really a problem for the ones distributing is still
>> the question anyway (I doubt it) But this way it's not the
>> ASF that would have to take the responsibility for that.
>>
>> I guess that's the point
>
> Yes, that's the point indeed.  ASL is supposed to be a business-friendly
> license.  If Cocoon uses distribution-time tricks to technically comply
> with the ASL but in the process nullifies its intent for some users, we
> have failed IMO.

Sure I hear what you are saying ...but
may those users use the jars for their
projects if they were downloading them
by theirselves?

If yes - this is only a trick to circumvent
the redistribution clause. If not - they
may not use them anyway. And hiding this behind
the ASL doesn't make it any better.

Especially for the ASF!

cheers
--