cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:08:05 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> Isn't this missing the whole point of the current licensing
>>> discussion?  If we cook up a system that allows us to create and
>>> distribute cocoon but that product now cannot be used to build a
>>> commercial application without questions of further license
>>> requirements (source code availability, etc.) have we served our
>>> users well?
>>

>> That's exactly the problem I have with this library system. Isn't
>> Apache stuff that common because of its ease of use? I don't want to
>> do license checking for every dependent project I get from somewhere.
>> Moving this to the users is just a poor move and should be avoided if
>> possible. It's not just about downloading one more JAR.
>

> Well, AFAIU they will only run into the same legal hassle if
> they try to *redistribute* cocoon as a whole!! So no problem
> for the simple user.

Is a company using Cocoon to deliver web applications redistributing
Cocoon? (yes, I think).  Then from what I can tell, a good portion of
even our own committers, not to mention people on the users list would
have a problem.

> If it's really a problem for the ones distributing is still
> the question anyway (I doubt it) But this way it's not the
> ASF that would have to take the responsibility for that.
>
> I guess that's the point

Yes, that's the point indeed.  ASL is supposed to be a business-friendly
license.  If Cocoon uses distribution-time tricks to technically comply
with the ASL but in the process nullifies its intent for some users, we
have failed IMO.

Geoff