cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:52:03 GMT
>> Isn't this missing the whole point of the current licensing
>> discussion?  If we cook up a system that allows us to create and
>> distribute cocoon but that product now cannot be used to build a
>> commercial application without questions of further license
>> requirements (source code availability, etc.) have we served our users
>> well?
>

> That's exactly the problem I have with this library system. Isn't Apache
> stuff that common because of its ease of use? I don't want to do license
> checking for every dependent project I get from somewhere. Moving this
> to the users is just a poor move and should be avoided if possible. It's
> not just about downloading one more JAR.

Well, AFAIU they will only run into the same legal hassle if
they try to *redistribute* cocoon as a whole!! So no problem
for the simple user.

If it's really a problem for the ones distributing is still
the question anyway (I doubt it) But this way it's not the
ASF that would have to take the responsibility for that.

I guess that's the point
--
Torsten