cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:04:58 GMT
> Yep. And we should also think about the users of our users: can they be
> expected to go through the same download-on-demand scenario before even
> taking a quick look whether Cocoon fits their bill?

Is it really much more complicated to download?
It does not have to be always on demand...

Let's assume we distribute

  cocoon-2.whatever-src.tgz

without any external jars and we have a
repository with each individual jar.

  rhino.jar
  itext.jar
  jetty.jar

If we could (are alound) to provide an archiv
for convenience,

   cocoon-2.whatever-dependencies.tgz

We'd only have *two* instead of one downloads.

After the download you have all dependencies
on disk. The download-on-demand system should
utilize the archiv and no further downloads-on-demand
are necessary since everything is already there.

IMO this should not make much of a difference
for anyone who wants to try Cocoon.
--
Torsten